Sunday, August 12, 2007

Yay for my Garden!

I don't know if it's Granny channeling herself through me, or what, but I've discovered a love for gardening! Back at the beginning of July, Charline and I got the back planting bed all spiffed up. Here's an update...

First, my roses! This is year two for these guys, they were my mother's day present last year. I love them because they're so unique! They're doing really well this year!
Distant Drums is the name of this one. It starts out a deep pink and tan, then lightens up to a light pink.
JFK Rose, big white blooms!
This one is super cool. It's called a Chihuly rose, named after the artist Dale Chihuly who makes amazing art with glass. If you've ever been to the Bellagio in Vegas, he did the glass art on the ceiling near the botanic garden. This one also changes color as it blooms, from yellow to red.

And now the back...we had a few doggy pee casualties. The Cosmos are trying really hard to hang in there, and a few begonias and delphinium didn't make it. I have had to replace a few things, but most are doing pretty good!
Salvias are doing great! They've survived really well.
A view of the bed. If you look back at the first posting you can see that the petunias and salvias are really growing!
This is a crazy cute bird made out of old gardening tools that Kathie bought for my yard. Isn't he funny? Thanks, Kathie!
Purple balloon flower, this guy is new.
Woohoo, you go Petunias!
Zany for Gazania! The yellow ones are new, they took the place of a poor yellow begonia that couldn't hack it. Below is a pretty mauve one that Charline got me, it's one of the original plants!

There ya have it...can't wait til next year when I can add even more to the rest of the yard!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy,

I like what you've dont to your planting bed. I've been working on the front island for a few days. It's hot work in the sun. I need some sort of partial shade garden like your's.

Tell Jen we wish her all the best, and that she sould stay in touch with all of you.

ps Family in SF, give Missy some love....

Anonymous said...

We think your garden and flowers look great!

Denise, Aunt Blez, and Grandma

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! I have won another one over to the obsessive flower planting side!! You are a natural...someday we will start our own company! Then the whole world will see what brown can do for them!

It's beautiful! I'm proud of you MM!!