Monday, January 7, 2008

Working on Fine Motor Skills

When Riley informed Charline that plucking stickers off a sheet and adhering them to paper was "practicing fine motor," we just about lost it. What 2 year old says something like that!? Obviously one who not only has a teacher for a mom, but who listens to every conversation within earshot, even when he seems to be playing with play-dough with the other preschoolers.

Now he likes to tell us that when things aren't working out the way they should, it's because his "fine motor skills aren't working." I'm not kidding.

Fortunately, his fine motor skills were working pretty well a Jun Sushi on mom's birthday. Also known as "the place where we take our shoes off." The restaurant is one of our faves, right outside mom and dad's neighborhood. They have the tatami platform where you do actually take your shoes off, but thankfully the tables are set over holes in the floor so that you sit with your legs dangling under the table instead of cross-legged. This is Riley, eating rice with chopsticks, left-handed, of course!
First you scoop...
Then you eat!

9 comments:

Charline said...

I must say, his fine motor skills are shaping up. I imagine he'll be good at star throwing and ping pong when that part of his traing comes up.(does that take place at age 3?...I'm not sure how you people cover all of the essentials.) I'm sure it won't be long before he is catching flies in his chop sticks...

The Marsh Blog said...

Wax On, Wax Off...

Anonymous said...

Yes, and his ANGLO side will cause Riley to aspire to eating white potatoes and ketchup with everything, spending hours watching monster trucks burn up fossil fuel as entertainment while wearing his beater shirt.

The Marsh Blog said...

Touche...you will recall that Riley is well in touch with his Oklahoma roots, if you remember a certain theme party we had back in the summer time! He's so multicultural.

The Marsh Blog said...

Charline, will you be sure to take over tutelage of things such as using whatever utensil is around to do the exact opposite of the intended use? Like, for example, raking up in a tree, or shoveling with a dustpan? As his adopted Auntie, it's your job to Port him up!

Charline said...

I was actually planning on teaching him how to live in his basement with his entire family to preserve the upstairs. For his 3rd birthday I was going to present him with a Mary statue and balance it on the front lawn in an old bath tub sticking 3/4th of the way out of the ground.... but I can teach him the rake trick too!

Anonymous said...

Mom V is right though...I friggin love ketchup...in fact, the ports are notorious for spreading some ketchup on bread and folding it in half and eating it....

Anonymous said...

Mom V is right though...I friggin love ketchup...in fact, the ports are notorious for spreading some ketchup on bread and folding it in half and eating it....

Steve said...

My boy will very talented. Chopsticks to farmer blows he will excel in all fine motor skills. I am so proud. We call him our litle philaneck.