Tuesday, October 7, 2008

He Never Ceases to Amaze Me.

We've always known that Riley is such an incredibly sweet and thoughtful kid.  Every once in a while though, he says something that brings that home in such a profound way.  
Today it was brought to my attention that he didn't have his blanket in his cubby for nap.  I think he'd tried to tell me this, but I didn't ask the right question.  I asked if he had A blanket, and he said yes.  I just didn't understand that it wasn't HIS blanket, it was a borrowed one because I had forgotten to bring his back after washing it.  Anyway, he was ok with using the borrowed one for one more day, and we agreed to bring in his blanket tomorrow.  On my way out of the parking lot I realized that I had left a great fleece blanket in Carter's car seat carrier, in his classroom.  Riley loves this blanket, so I called Carter's room and asked his teacher to send the blanket over to Preschool when she had a chance, which she so kindly did.
Tonight when I was putting Riley to bed, we had Carter in the bed with us.  After our two books (I read "Sheep on a Ship," then Riley read "The Going to Bed Book" to Carter), we listened to the bedtime CD I made for the boys.  We were listening to the song, "Beautiful Boy," and Riley closed his eyes and sang along to himself.  Then he told me, "This is a thinking song, mom.  Whenever you want to think about someone you can sing this song."  I thought that was pretty awesome.  Then he told me, "Today when I had the blanket that you sent over, I could feel you with me and I could feel Carter with me when I snuggled it.  I thought of you."  I'm just so blown away that a 3-year old could be so reflective, and be able to articulate those feelings.  He is truly amazing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Riley is just mind blowing!!! Out of the mouths of babes - what else can I
say.........
Aunt Faye

Anonymous said...

Dad and I read this last night. You can imagine how we felt. Riley is becoming such a profound, sensitive, loving, young boy. The fact that he can express himself in such a way is priceless. I want to hear that song....
-Mom

Anonymous said...

That is so cute Missy...brought tears to our eyes when we read it...amazing little man...we love him!!! Dad

Anonymous said...

Ok...crying now!!! sniff, sniff