Friday, October 10, 2008

Remember how I said...

...that Riley never ceases to amaze me? Well, here's a story from the other end of the spectrum. First of all, Riley has a little crush on our friend, Mary. She's the reason he's a Kansas Jayhawks fan. Whenever she comes over, he brings her warm melty Skittles in his little hand, and sidles up next to her on the couch. He loves her! So, yesterday we had parent-teacher conferences from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. During my dinner break from 4-5, I had to scoot over to Bright Horizons to pick up the boys and bring them back to the school where Steve was meeting me to take them home so I could do my evening conferences. We were in the teacher's lounge eating dinner that was provided by our Parent group, so most of the staff was in there, including Mary. Riley was sitting, eating a drumstick of fried chicken, and we were teasing him, telling him that his girlfriend was at the other table, that he should go talk to Mary, etc. He protested, "I'm eating!" Finally he did go say hello to her. As the boys were leaving, Riley told Steve, "I couldn't talk to Mary because I was eating my chicken." Steve replied, "That's ok." Riley answered, "Yeah, Meat before Mary." Doesn't that just sum up the male psyche in three words? Hunt and Gather, then go back to the cave to your woman... Heaven help me, I'm in a testosterone-soaked world.

No comments: